- Bachelor of Arts Degree from Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa (1995)
- Elementary Education Major
- Endorsements in Coaching and Reading
- Master’s of Education Degree from Grand Valley State University in Allendale, Michigan (2010)
- Focus on Elementary Education
- Currently hold valid Professional Teaching Certificates in Iowa and Michigan
- 1995 to 1996 – Holland Christian Schools – Holland, Michigan
- Worked in the Inclusive Education Department in the mornings at Holland Christian High School
- Work at Rose Park Christian School in the afternoons, teaching 5th grade Math and 3rd Grade Math and Science.
- 1996 to 2005 – Redlands Christian School – Redlands, California
- Taught 4th Grade
- Middle School Boys’ Basketball Coach for 9 years
- 2005 to Present – Dutton Christian School – Caledonia, Michigan
- Currently Teach 4th Grade, in my 19th year of teaching in Christian Schools
- 9th year of teaching at DCS
- 8th Grade Boys’ Basketball Coach
- 8th Grade Girls’ Basketball Coach
Why I became a Christian school teacher
One of the reasons I became a Christian School teacher was because I enjoy the opportunity to show students how God is a part of their everyday lives and how He is present in each of their subject areas. I grew up in Iowa and went to a Christian grade school and high school, and all of my teachers showed me the love of God in their teaching. I want my students to see through my faith that God is more than just a person that tells us how to live our lives – He also wants to be a part of our daily lives and have a personal relationship with us. That is something I continually encourage my students to develop throughout their year in 4th grade.
An example of how I integrate faith into my classroom
I am a big fan of Nike and Air Jordan shoes and have over 100 pairs of them in my closet. I am trying to pass this love of shoes onto my boys!