Academically Talented Teacher
- Calvin College: BA in Special Education 1997
- California State University: MA in Reading Education 2005
- Ontario Christian School: Kindergarten teacher 1997-1998
- Redlands Christian School: First grade teacher 1998-2015
- Redlands Christian School: K-5th Special education teacher 2015-2018
- Dutton Christian School: Enrichment teacher 2019-present
- Byron Center Christian School: Enrichment teacher 2019-present
- I have been married to Mark since 1998 and together we are raising our three children, Jacob, Sarah, and Allison.
- I enjoy reading, cooking, going to the beach and spending time with my family playing games and attending sporting events.
Why I Became a Christian School Teacher
- I love Jesus and children and teaching children about Jesus and His love for them. I believe that God is the creator and sustainer of this world and needs to be at the center of everything, including education. I can’t imagine trying to teach children about this amazing world without teaching them about the God who created it, and them.
How I Integrate Faith into my Classroom
- My identity is in Jesus Christ, and I want my students to know this about me. I share with them my faith story, what I’m reading in the Bible, answers to prayers and how I see God working in my life and in the lives of others. I read the Bible with them, pray with them, and encourage them in their own faith journeys. I want my students to know who God is, to understand His story, His love for us, and our role in His story. This happens through intentional teaching and discussions and as we explore God’s world through literature, math, and other content areas.
- I’m 6 feet tall and have never played a game of basketball or volleyball in my life. I used to dislike the question, “Do you play basketball?” Now that people have stopped asking me (it’s been many years), I wish they would. 🙂