The DCS Spanish program seeks to expose children to a second language as naturally as possible through listening, speaking, singing, reciting phrases and Bible verses, playing games and a variety of creative and fun activities. Each classroom has a total of 45 minutes per week for Spanish learning emphasis. Many of our activities are taught in conjunction with the classroom curriculum such as calendar words, Bible verses, songs, science units, social studies units and even art class!
Briefly it is the “5 C’s”:
- Communication: learning language for real life situations
- Cultures: understanding other people’s points of view, ways of life and contributions to the world
- Connections: creating links to other subject areas
- Comparisons: understanding one’s native culture by comparing and contrasting it to another culture
- Communities: emphasizing that we live in a global society