Grand Valley State University (Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education & English/Language Arts)
St. Catherine University (Master’s of Curriculum & Instruction)
- I taught third grade for two years in Colorado and eight years in Minnesota, and I am blessed to continue teaching third grade at DCS!
- My husband, Al, and I have three children, Lupe, Seth, and Selah, who are blessed to be DCS students.
Why I became a Christian school teacher:
- I grew up in Christian schools and valued being able to read the Bible, pray and worship together freely. During my freshman year at Calvin College I felt God calling me to teach and make a difference in the lives of children at public schools, so I transferred to Grand Valley State University. After ten years of caring for and teaching these students, but not being able to openly share all the ways God was at work, I felt God calling me to teach at a Christian school. I wanted to give credit to the Great Creator as we studied and enjoyed His beautiful creation together. When God blessed my husband and I with our three children, we appreciated even more the value of integrating our faith into every aspect of daily life. I am grateful to now openly share my faith with my students and recognize how God is working in each of our lives.
An example of how I integrate faith into my classroom:
- As a class we recognize not only how God worked in and through his people in the past, but how he continues to work in our lives. Then we work to play our part in God’s Story, from helping a friend on the playground to blessing our local community through service as we impact the world for Christ.
- I hiked up Pikes Peak in Colorado, over 14,110 feet elevation and was joined by an Australian Olympian swimmer.